Market Scope Expects the Glaucoma Pharmaceutical Market to Generate $6.1 Billion in Revenues by 2020

June 11, 2015: By Market Scope

Market Scope expects the global glaucoma pharmaceutical market to climb from roughly $4.7 billion in revenues in 2015 to nearly $6.1 billion in 2020 at a compounded annual rate of 5.1 percent. The most robust growth is expected in the emerging markets of China, India, and Latin America.

Glaucoma Pharma forecast 2015The glaucoma market is experiencing a turnaround after seeing revenues decrease in recent years as generic versions of prostaglandins reached the market in the US and wealthy markets. Factors driving new growth include aging world populations, increasing urbanization in emerging markets and the developing world, rising rates of high myopia, expanding access to care in the developing world, improvements in drug delivery systems, and the promise of more efficacious ocular hypotensive drugs. The rate of diagnosis and treatment is increasing at a particularly brisk pace in emerging economies and much of the developing world where health care infrastructure and access to diagnostic and treatment technologies are improving. Market Scope estimates the global glaucoma and ocular hypertensive populations total 125.5 million in 2015, and we forecast the number will grow to 141.6 million by 2020.

Five glaucoma pharmaceutical companies dominate the glaucoma pharmaceutical market space and accounted for roughly 83 percent of market revenues in 2014. These companies are Alcon, Allergan, Pfizer, Santen, and Merck. The remaining 17 percent of 2014 revenues were generated by a broad range of companies that market branded glaucoma medications regionally or compete in the crowded market for generic drugs.

Glaucoma Pharma Revenues by Region 2015Market Scope published its 2015 Comprehensive Report on the Global Glaucoma Pharmaceutical Market in April 2015. It is the only report that includes a detailed analysis of prevalence of types of glaucoma, glaucoma providers, treatments, and compliance, as well as unit breakdown by drug class. This report includes market data for 2014, and we forecast market performance through 2020. Our forecast also subdivides the glaucoma pharmaceutical market into eight geographic/economic analytic categories: the US, Western Europe, Japan, Other Wealthy Nations, China, India, Latin America, and Rest of World.

For more information, please contact:

Market Scope, LLC
9859 Big Bend Blvd.
Suite 202
St. Louis, MO 63122

Coming soon

2018 Ophthalmic Laser Report: A Global Market Analysis for 2017 to 2023 (Photocoagulation, Photodisruption, and SLT