2018 Cataract Surgical Equipment Report: A Global Market Analysis for 2017 to 2023
Market Scope's report on the cataract surgical equipment market is in its 17th edition. It is the leading industry source for accurate and relevant information on all aspects of the cataract surgical equipment market. In this year's report, our coverage for the femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery (FLCS) market has been expanded and updated. We have included estimates for both end user pricing and manufacturing revenues by company and product line. In addition, we have included separate estimates for procedures and revenues for dual-function cataract/vitrectomy machines. As in the past, we provide data and forecasts on cataracts and cataract surgeries worldwide. We discuss cataract surgery locations in the US and elsewhere in the world. We cover phacoemulsification, and we analyze the phaco machine market and the market for machine packs. We also explore photodisruptor lasers and their use. Worldwide markets are analyzed using eight regional/economic categories: the US, Western Europe, Japan, Other Wealthy Nations, China, India, Latin America, and Rest of World.
This report includes market data for 2017, and we forecast market performance through 2023. Market Scope’s 2018 Cataract Surgical Equipment Report: A Global Market Analysis for 2017 to 2023 provides in-depth coverage of the equipment and devices used in cataract and other IOL procedures.
New in 2018, we:
- Address current and future technological challenges to ultrasonic phaco, including next-generation femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery (FLACS) systems, robotic systems, micro-interventional cataract surgical (MICS) devices such as Iantech’s miLOOP, and small incision cataract surgery (SICS)
- Address technologies that will make ultrasonic phaco even safer and more effective such as automated cataract capsulotomy devices (ACCDs). Even though the first of these devices, the Mynosys Zepto, just launched, we predict how these devices will be used and forecast their market penetration and revenue impact over the next five years.
- Look for changes in the way cataract surgery is performed over the next five years and analyze office-based cataract surgery (OBCS). We predict office-based cataract surgery will soon become a reality in some parts of the world, and we explore the technologies that will help move surgery toward the office setting.
- Evaluate the current adoption rate of simultaneous bilateral cataract surgery (SBCS) in different regions of the world and list the technologies that will stimulate its adoption.
- Address subtle, but important, advances that are being made in flow control in newer ultrasonic systems, which is driving many cataract surgeons to upgrade their older systems, creating strong demand for machines.
- Show that FLACS laser sales have flattened in recent years, but the number of procedures shows a promising trend in many countries, including the US. We outline improvements in the technology and changes to the business model that we believe are required for companies to increase market penetration beyond its current limited segment. We evaluate FLACS technologies in development today, and we project which ones will be developed over the next five years to reinvigorate growth.
- Evaluate the status of attempts to create a robotic cataract surgery platform.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Our report is organized into key areas and includes:
• Overview of incidence and causes of cataracts globally;
• Treatment methods used for cataracts worldwide;
• Demographics of aging;
• Presbyopia, presbyopic populations, and refractive lens exchange (RLE);
• Cataract care: surgeons, ASCs, and hospitals;
• Detailed analysis of the phaco machine market—machine technologies, market competitors, installed base, handpieces, and accessories—with five-year forecasts;
• Development of and forecasts for femtosecond laser–assisted cataract surgery (FLACS) systems;
• Phaco machine pack market with analysis of disposable and reuse issues;
• Photodisruptor lasers, manufacturers, and revenue forecasts;
• 31 company profiles;
• 71 color tables and 69 color figures;
Market Scope’s industry reports are meticulously prepared by a dedicated team of in-house consultants/analysts with over 100 years of collective ophthalmic experience and each data point is driven by a combination of sources, including the following:
• Our proprietary global disease population and demographic models
• Twenty years and counting of ophthalmologist survey data
• Analysis of company published financial reports
• Focused coverage of ophthalmic scientific research, business news and other activities
• Attendance and participation in major, worldwide ophthalmic meetings
• Interviews and long-standing relationships with company executives and practicing ophthalmologists
This edition of our 2018 Cataract Surgical Equipment Report: A Global Market Analysis for 2017 to 2023 was released in May 2018. The report is printed in color and spiral bound for easy reading. Two licensing types are available for this report. The price of the report is $5,750 for a SINGLE USER LICENSE (an electronic PDF copy and/or an additional paper copy is available for use within your company for an additional $500 and $300, respectively). The price of the ENTERPRISE LICENSE is $8,625 (includes a printable PDF and supplemental Excel file with all the tables and figures in the report).
*Note: The PDFs are not downloadable: PDF copies of reports are manually prepared and emailed to the account listed on the order within 24 hours. Please call our office for immediate assistance or to discuss purchasing additional copies of a report at (314) 835-0600.